Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Way I See It #327

Hi team,

What is branding to you?

It is, by definition, the most intangible portion of a business. No one can touch a brand. No one can feel a brand. Yet, at the same time, people become a brand all the time. How can this be?

I suppose the first thing you would want to know is what is the definition of a brand. Traditionally, a brand is a name used to distinguish a product, service or business. But it has evolved into so much more than that.

Let's take a step back for a second, and think on a much lower level than corporate branding. Each of us have a brand, don't we? We all interact online with each other. We all have profiles that put us forward in the eyes of the world. How can we not have a brand? We put forth our age, religious views, political associations and, perhaps most stupidly, our pictures for the world to see. Beyond this, our opinions are also made known through the likes of what we write to each other and the things that follow, such as this very blog - and many others that we have now attached to our brands in the name of higher grades and camaraderie.

So, how can we think that we don't have a brand? Are we really that blissfully ignorant?

Until next time kids,

Phil

1 comment:

  1. A brand intangible? I think not. My branding was one of the most heinous experiences of my life. When that blazing iron was jutted upon my left buttock, my life was despoiled.

    It is not uncommon for me to be awoken at 4:00 at night to the sounds of my own plaintive screams.

    I recall many things about it to this day: the sound it made sizzling its way half an inch into my flesh. The smell of steak mixed with burning hair. The cycloptic Jamaican dwarf dancing in mockery. And being forced to play Sega Genesis afterwards. How erinaceous.

    Oh. I see now, upon further review, that you were discoursing about a different sort of branding. To that point I concur.

    The Phantom

    ReplyDelete